WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2013 PRE-APPRENTICESHIP COURSE
The Apprenticeship Course, in partnership with the British Racing School offers schools leavers a direct route into the Thoroughbred breeding industry. This Government funded Apprenticeship is an excellent way of gaining qualifications and workplace experience. The full time residential course runs once a year from October to December.
What is the Apprenticeship?
- An initial 9 week residential Pre-Apprenticeship training course at the National Stud
- Successful completion of the 9 week Pre-Apprenticeship is followed by a placement process which includes selection and interview with potential employers
- An 18 month paid work placement on an approved UK Thoroughbred stud.
What do I gain?
- A Level 2 Diploma in Work Based Racehorse Care (Breeding Option)
- Level 1 Functional Skills in Maths and English
- Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horse Care
- Emergency First Aid At Work
Who can apply?
- Male or female aged between 16 and 24 years
- Has completed school year 11 and is not planning to return to full-time education
- Does not already hold an NVQ level 2 in Horse Care or equivalent
- Has not obtained a degree
- Have been a resident of the EU for three years or more
- Applications will only be accepted from permanent English address holders due to government funding restrictions
Why the Apprenticeship?
- A unique opportunity to pursue a career within the British Thoroughbred breeding industry
- The chance to gain recognised qualifications
- Work based training
- The opportunity to work on internationally recognised studs
- Excellent career prospects
What will I be doing?
- Training and working hard in all weather conditions
- Attending practical and classroom based training sessions
- Working with Thoroughbred breeding stock
- During the 9 week Pre-Aprrenticeship trainees will assist with the preparation of breeding stock for the sales.
- Training will cover the following subject areas:
- Routine horsecare
- General stud duties / farm maintenance
- Paddock maintenance
- Reproduction and parturition care
- Handling youngstock
- Health and Safety
- Conduct, working relationships and personal development
How much does it cost and where will I live?
- The training at The National Stud is FREE
- Accommodation and all meals are provided at The National Stud (Westbrook House) during the Pre-Apprenticeship (excluding accommodation deposit and personal expenses)
What do I need to be successful on the course?
- A passion for the care and breeding of Thoroughbred horses
- Enthusiasm and the desire to succeed within the Thoroughbred industry
- Suitably motivated to complete the demanding training
- Willingness to learn, ability to follow instruction and be physically fit
Please be aware that the Thoroughbred breeding industry is a physically intensive and a high risk sector to work in. The hours of work will be long and hard and will include weekends and evenings as part of the normal routine.
Successful applicants will be invited to attend an assessment and interview day at the National Stud.
Unique Apprenticeship opportunity local to postcode SG8 also available. Please contact us for more details.
What to do next?
Download an application form, complete and return to:
The Training Office, The National Stud, Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 0XE
For further information contact us on 01638 675922 or firstname.lastname@example.org