Training for the Apprenticeship at The National Stud is FREE. The Apprenticeship offers 16 to 24 year olds an alternative to full time education and a route into the Thoroughbred breeding industry. A Government funded Apprenticeship is an excellent way of gaining qualifications and workplace experience whilst being paid for your work. The introductory 9 week residential course runs from October to December each year with a limited number of places for enthusiastic and committed young people.
If after reading this page you want to talk to someone for advice or guidance please contact any member of the training team on 01638 663464
- You do not need to have any prior experience of horses or stud work to apply for the Apprenticeship
- We will teach you everything you need to know to kick start your career
Who can apply?
- Male or female aged between 16 and 24 years
- You will have completed school year 11 and are not planning to return to full-time education
- You do not already hold a Level 2 Work Based Diploma in Horse Care or equivalent
- You do not have a degree
- You are a resident of the EU for three years or more
- Applications will be accepted from permanent English address holders and limited numbers from Scottish and Welsh residents due to government funding restrictions
How much does it cost and where will I live?
- The Apprenticeship training via The National Stud is FREE
- Accommodation and all meals are provided at The National Stud during the 9 week introductory course (excluding accommodation deposit and personal expenses).
- Once you have been placed at an approved UK stud farm your accommodation will be provided by your employer.
How does the Apprenticeship work?
- You will be offered an initial 9 week residential Pre-Apprenticeship training course at The National Stud in Newmarket.
- You will then be found a minimum 12 month paid work placement on an approved UK Thoroughbred stud.
What will I be doing?
- Training and working hard in all weather conditions
- Attending practical and classroom based training sessions
- Working with Thoroughbred breeding stock
- Assisting with the preparation of breeding stock for the sales.
- Learning to be independent and developing a positive work ethic
What do I gain?
- Level 2 Diploma in Work Based Racehorse Care (Breeding Pathway)
- Level 1 Functional Skills in Maths and English – if applicable
- Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horse Care
- Emergency First Aid At Work
Why the Apprenticeship?
- Earn while you learn in an exciting and rewarding career
- Work with horses on a daily basis
- Gain industry recognised qualifications
- Can lead to international travel and work
- Excellent career prospects
What do I need to be successful on the course?
- You will have a passion for the care and breeding of Thoroughbred horses
- You will be enthusiastic and have the desire to succeed
- You are motivated to complete the demanding training
- You have a willingness to learn, ability to follow instruction and be physically fit
Interested? What to do next?
You can download an application form
, complete and return to:
The Training Office, The National Stud, Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 0XE
For further information or if you are unable to download the application form contact us on 01638 663464 or email@example.com